My husband needs more care and our family disagrees about what type of care he needs.
Since our son is now in school, the parenting plan we made when he was a toddler needs to change. We argue when we try to talk about it.
Mediation is available for families facing disagreements about child custody/visitation, care of a loved one, and many other situations that families face and need to make decisions about. Mediation is voluntary and confidential.
Family mediators are professionally trained, are impartial and facilitate conversations between two or more family members so that they can get clearer about next steps, make decisions and understand the other's perspective whenever possible.
Did you know that mediation is available for couples who are separating and divorcing, as well as for post-divorce issues?
Divorce mediation provides couples a forum to make decisions about every aspect of their divorce including:
- child custody
- child support
- marital assets and debts including homes, retirement plans,
and many other topics that need to be decided.
The Olweus Program Works!
Ralph R. Smith Elementary School in Hyde Park launched their Olweus Bullying Prevention Program on September 2014. Although there was a slight increase in reported bullying, the following results were achieved after 1 year of implementation:
- a decrease in the percent of students that think they could join in bullying others.
- a 3% increase in the percentage of students who feel sorry for the bullied student (92.7% in 2014 to 95.4% in 2015).
- a 19% increase in the recognition of teacher interventions (44.9% in 2014 to 53.6% in 2015).
- a 26% increase in student interventions in bullying situations.
- a 19% decrease in student reports of parent contact with the school in regards to bullying.
- a 2% increase in helping a student who has been bullied.
- a 20% decrease in the number of students who would just watch the bullying happen.
- a 41% decrease in the number of students who think teachers have done nothing about bullying.
- a 44% decrease in the percentage of students reporting they have no friends or only 1 friend at school.
- a 23% decrease in the number of students reporting that they dislike school.
Programs are funded in part by the County of Dutchess. Programs funded in part by Dutchess County Youth Services.
What is Bullying and How do we Stop It: Workshops Provide Crucial Skills to Prevent and Respond to Bullying
Girl Scouts. Beulah Baptist Church Youth Group. Relatives As Parents Program. What do these groups have in common? They include youth and adults learning how to prevent and respond to bullying. Whether being bullied by someone else or witnessing bullying taking place, studies show that others want to help but may not know how. Participants learn the definition of bullying that includes a pattern
Coalition on Elder Abuse launches Steering, Advocacy, Education, & Multi-Disciplinary Team Sub-Committees to Increase its Impact
The Coalition on Elder Abuse in Dutchess County works together collaboratively and cooperatively to protect elders from abuse, neglect and exploitation and to preserve the quality of their lives. Twenty-six members of the Coalition, including community individuals and representatives of private and public agencies/organizations met for a special two-hour planning meeting at the Clubhouse at