Mediation Center of Dutchess County’s 35 Hour Volunteer Mediator Training
35 Hour Basic Transformative Mediation Training Saturday, August 11 – Tuesday, August 14 (4 consecutive days)
Location: 205 South Ave, Suite 200
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Who should apply for this training?
Business owners, manager/supervisors, teachers, administrators, customer service representatives, attorneys, social workers, parents-anyone can benefit from learning a new approach to understanding conflict and skills that help address conflict constructively.
People who live or work in Dutchess County and want to become volunteer mediators for the Mediation Center. You must attend a mandatory orientation session, complete the apprenticeship and make a year-long volunteer commitment.
What will we learn in this training?
Theories of conflict,
The mediator’s role as an intervener,
Skills practice including reflective listening, summarizing and checking in,
Mock mediation practice with an experienced coach,
Cultural humility and implicit bias awareness in mediation,
Ethics, confidentiality and other critical topics for mediators,
Working with people with high conflict behaviors,
Working with parties and their attorneys.
What people say about our training:
“The mix of interactive sections with lecture and video clips was great!”
“Extremely well organization and presented!”
About the Trainer:
Jody Miller is the EEO/Human Rights Officer for Dutchess County and was the Executive Director of the Mediation Center of Dutchess County for 16 years. She has worked closely with courts and the community to develop and provide mediation and conflict resolution training programs over her more than 20 years in the alternative dispute resolution field. During her tenure and in partnership with the domestic violence community, Jody and her team created the award winning Domestic Violence and Mediation Safety Project.
She serves on the Dutchess County Aging Services Advisory Board, NYS Sen. Sue Serino’s Aging Advisory Council and is a member of the Hon. Deborah A. Kaplan’s Elder Justice Working Group.
Jody is an adjunct professor of mediation at the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University and is a Fellow of the Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation. She is the author of the chapter, “Choosing to Change: Transitioning to the Transformative Model in a Community Mediation Center,” in the publication, Transformative Mediation: A Sourcebook: Resources for Conflict Intervention Practitioners and Programs, Association for Conflict Resolution/Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation, 2010. In 2013, with the Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation, she created a video of a transformative commercial mediation that includes parties who are represented by their attorneys. She wrote the article, “Mediating Commercial Cases: A Case for Transformative Mediation,” ACResolution, Winter, 2015. She has been a presenter at conferences throughout the United States, as well as in Italy and China.
To train as a non-volunteer:
- Complete an application form for the training and submit a payment of $550 by August 3rd, 2018. You can download and print an application HERE or complete and submit an online application form HERE. An optional scholarship form is included in the application. Please send payment to the Mediation Center of Dutchess County.
To become a volunteer mediator at the Center:
- Sign up for a mandatory orientation. Orientation sessions are held at the Mediation Center at the following dates/times:
- Wednesday, July 11th, 5:30pm – 7pm
- Monday, July 16th, 11am – 1:30pm
- Wednesday, August 1st, 10am – 11:30am
- Complete an application form for the training and submit with payment of $250 by August 3rd, 2018. Forms will be distributed at the orientation or you can download and print an application HERE or complete and submit an online application form HEREa>. An optional scholarship form is included in the application. Please send payment to the Mediation Center of Dutchess County.
- Please note, due to limited capacity, the Mediation Center of Dutchess County cannot accept every applicant to its volunteer program. You will be notified after the training whether or not you have been accepted for apprenticeship. We encourage prospective volunteers to apply again in the future.
The Mediation Center of Dutchess County
205 South Ave, Suite 200
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
ATTN: Basic Mediation Training